Here is a list of FAQ to help campers prepare for their stay with Camp Heiwa:

Do I need a visa to visit Japan for camp?

Currently, yes. Right now we are able to invite campers to Japan through the short-term travel visa for academic purposes. Until standard travel procedures resume, we will provide the required documents and assist all accepted applicants with the application process of this visa to stay at Camp Heiwa. 

Accepted applicants will receive detailed information on how to apply and receive their visa prior to traveling to Japan. 


Typically, our campers are eligible for the 90-day visa waiver agreement between Japan and the United States. However, standard travel procedures are currently on hold due to Covid-19. 


Do I need to be vaccinated for Covid-19 before coming to Japan? What is the quarantine procedure/travel requirements?



As of June 1, 2022, both Covid-19 vaccination doses are no longer required for travel and entry into Japan.

However, you may be tested upon arrival and will need proof of a NEGATIVE Covid-19 test within 72 hours prior to departure to Japan. Masks may need to be worn. 

Do I need any other immunization shots before coming to Japan?


No. Although it is recommended that you have a hepatitis vaccine before your trip.

Do I need insurance?


Yes!  All campers are required to have health coverage during their stay in Japan. Check to see if your insurance covers you while you are in Japan and if not you can get an inexpensive travel insurance policy for the trip. 


Will my cell phone work in Japan?


In most cases, no.  Please check with your phone company if you are not sure. We suggest renting a pocket wifi or purchasing a SIM card either prior to, or upon arrival at the airport of arrival if this is important to you. We recommend downloading LINE and communicating with friends and family this way while in Japan (they will have to download it, too). It is a popular Japanese messaging app and works on wifi. 


Can I use my ATM card in Japan?


Most international ATM cards will work at Japanese post office ATM machines, and 7/11 convenience store ATM machines, but be sure to let your bank know your dates of travel prior to departure.  Many banks refuse overseas withdrawals unless the customer has informed them beforehand. 


Do I need to know Japanese before I come?


It is not required, but learning and reviewing the basics is recommended.

Our camp curriculum has been fully prepared to work with all Japanese-Language proficiency levels.

Where does camp take place?


Camp Heiwa takes place in Nagasaki, Japan with each session running 14/15 days long. We operate at a variety of different public and private facilities and hotels depending on both the term and session. 

Our primary camp facility/hotel of operation are:

Hiyoshi Nature House


Station Hotel Nagasaki Suwa 

We rent camp facilities and hotels based on availability during each session. Nearby, alternative facilities and hotels may be used. Official camp locations will be disclosed to accepted applicants prior to each session.

Can I bring a laptop computer/tablet/etc. device to camp?


You can, but we cannot guarantee internet access. You may be able to access wifi at local cafes, Starbucks locations, Nagasaki City Library, etc. You may want to bring an adapter if your chargers are 3-prong. 


Both of our primary facilities are likely to have internet access. 

*PLEASE be aware that you will be responsible for the safety of the computer/tablet/etc. device. We are not responsible for any lost and/or stolen items. 


What is the recommended dress for camp?


Very casual.  Summers in Japan are HOT and HUMID so t-shirts and shorts are popular.

Winter in Nagasaki is cool and mild.

Warmer dress in the Winter season is recommended.


*See Weather & Packing List 

Please note that Japan, and especially Nagasaki, are still very conservative in the way that they dress.